Making a video game may cost anything from $0 to the current record of $174 million.
However, as many excellent indie classics demonstrate, games can be created even on a tight budget.
To what extent does the development of an independent video game cost?
The cost of developing an independent video game is notoriously difficult to predict. Some estimates placed the price tag in the millions, while independent company Auroch Digital pegged it at $500,000 to $750,000.
Don’t be put off by the seemingly high sums. Speaking with Dale Turner, creator of the indie hit Astronarch, we learned that the development of his auto-battling roguelike cost him less than $250. Game-Stats.com has updated their lifetime income estimate for the game to $160,000.
HOW DO INDEPENDENT DEVELOPERS GET MONEY TO MAKE GAMES?
The very definition of an independent developer is one who does not have access to the millions of cash that publishers grant to their development studios. Where do small, independent software companies get funding of over $50,000?
Common approaches include:
• Financing comes from the creators themselves, making this project self-sufficient. Costs are often whittled away at over a period of years, which might lengthen the development process unless the developer is employed by a company with a very generous budget.
• Income from Video Games: Developers like Gagonfe, who make a living off of their games, put the money they make back into the studio so they can keep producing games.
• To raise money using a crowdsourcing campaign: Crowdfunding has been used by several well-received independent games to hasten production, expand content, or even finance the game’s completion.
• Ahead of the Curve: Under addition to generating revenue, offering your game in Early Access gives players a chance to provide constructive criticism that may be used to improve the final product.
When creating Stardew Valley, independent developer Eric “ConcernedApe” Barone used his own money, whereas Team Cherry, creators of the similarly acclaimed Hollow Knight, successfully crowdfunded $57,000 AUD.
How much money does it take to create a triple-A game?
Multibillion-dollar companies like Activision and Square Enix back AAA games. While some AAA series, like Halo and Final Fantasy, have releases every year, others, like the God of War series, have releases every few years.
Large-scale AAA games may cost tens of millions to create due to their ambitious scope.
The holiday release dates for a franchise like Call of Duty are set years in advance, requiring many companies to work on numerous games at once. Millions of money are needed by each studio to cover overhead, salaries, and promotions. Contact AAA game art studio to develop your dream game today.
PRICE OF MAKING A MOBILE GAME
It’s a common misconception that making a game for mobile devices is less expensive than making one for a PC or console, yet some mobile games actually cost more to make than even successful independent games.
Even Angry Birds, the basic bird-flinging, high-scoring Angry Birds, cost a paltry $140,000 to construct, whereas Niantic spent up to $600,000 developing Pokémon Go (which they have handsomely recouped since its premiere in 2016).
However, not every mobile game requires the equivalent of three lungs and a jade monkey to create. Popularity contest, In the end, the New York Times paid an unknown seven-figure fee for Wordle, which had originally been produced by a single individual for little to nothing.
COST-EFFECTIVE GAME DEVELOPMENT
On a tight budget, you can still create enjoyable games.
1. INTERACT WITH FREE GAME DEVELOPMENT APPLICATIONS
2. DON’T USE 3D, USE 2D
2D games are easier and cheaper to develop than their three-dimensional counterparts. Look at 3d animation rates.
3. GET SOUND FX AND MEDIA ASSETS
4. BEGIN A CROWDFUNDING EFFORT.