There are many reasons why you might require additional living space; you might be the head of a growing family, or perhaps relatives are coming to stay, or you are looking for a place to restore a prestige car. If you are planning to start your own business, you will need office space and home is the obvious place to have your business HQ.
Whatever the reason, here are a few ways that you can extend your living space.
1. Bricks-and-mortar extension – You can build a single or two-storey extension on the side or the rear of your home, making sure to keep to the existing building style for a uniform look. Of course, planning permission must be obtained and we recommend hiring a small builder with hands-on experience building extensions to order. The value will definitely soar with the extra living space; the sqm area is very much related to price.
2. Modular unit – If you are looking for a games room or workshop, one of the custom Australian barn sheds from a leading supplier, which would be tailored to suit your needs. Easy to assemble, all you need is a concrete base with utilities piped in and when the unit arrives, the team can build it in a few hours. There are many options including insulation, window and door placement and, of course, a range of colours.
3. Loft conversion – Probably the cheapest way to gain extra living space, an attic conversion is a straightforward project; you already have the roof and 4 walls in place (that means no need for planning permission) and a local builder could complete the work in a few days. The existing hatch needs to be made much bigger and a set of drop-down steps provide easy access. Chipboard flooring and plywood cladding on the walls and ceiling is really all there is to do; you will need to install a couple of skylights to allow natural light to enter the space, plus a couple of extractor fans for healthy ventilation.
4. Modified sea container – Sea containers come in 20’ and 40’ sizes and there are companies that customise sea containers for customers. The standard of workmanship is amazing and from the interior, you would never know you were inside a sea container. The exterior can be cladded to make it look more attractive; search the web for some cool examples of what can be done with an old sea container.
5. Log cabin – You can buy log cabins in kit form from an online supplier; choose the size and style you prefer, and then prepare a concrete base according to specifications. You won’t be able to find a better-looking building, of that we are sure. Click here for some amazing log cabin interior design tips.
So, there you have it, the most common ways to extend your living space and the Internet can help you with whatever you decide. You might require planning permission, which you can obtain from the local authorities.